1.27.2009

Happy Chinese New Year (year of the ox)

Last night Dad + I celebrated the Chinese New Year at Sekisui.  We ate sushi and had Nian Gao: (Rice cake/Year cake) or Chinese new year's cake is a food prepared from glutinous rice and consumed in Chinese cuisine.  While it can be eaten all year round, traditionally it is most popular during Chinese New Year. It is considered good luck to eat nian gao during this time because "nian gao" is a homonym for "every year higher and higher."  The kind we had was sweeted with brown sugar, red bean, fried and served with natural honey.


Here are some example photos:


3189128170_47bb10efdb 


800px-Niangao2 


414511142_27e1c7aff7  


I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Haha.  It was ok :]  I'm glad I tried it.  The honey was the best part.  I love honey.  Hehe.



No comments:

Post a Comment